Monday, July 28, 2014

The Stupid Journey

So I have already talked about my general life story leading up to this point. It was long, depressing, and possibly boring for you all to read it. Now, let me tell you a little better of a story: my string of therapists.

My first one ever was when I was about 16. He seemed friendly enough. This is how our first (and only) session went:

"Hi, ML, I'm Dr. ____"
"Hi."
[insert forty minutes of silence]
"Okay, that's all we have time for!"
"...Al-alright..."
The end.

Yes, this guy decided to go all psychoanalytical on a sixteen year old girl without ever explaining the process. I was already really shy and nervous, why the hell would I ever talk to this guy without any kind of lead? Ah, well, maybe the next one will be better. (Spoiler alert: not really)

The second guy, I saw twice. The first time, mom and I sat in his office and we talked in a really vague manner about what was going on, and then he proceeded to diagnose me with ADD. Then he decided I should get an IQ test (which apparently is a good measure for ADD? I have no idea), just to be sure. I took the test a couple days later, and then the second appointment, he wanted to dive right into my issues for real (after "confirming" ADD)....with my mom still in the freakin' room.
So, no. But I did get to find out my IQ, which was pretty cool.

The next one was a lady. She was older, friendly, and actually seemed to know what she was talking about (in retrospect), but she talked to me like a kindergartner. Literally.
"OMG, hi, you must be ML! Well I'm ____ and we're going to have such a fun time!" What can I expect, really, mom chose her because she was a child therapist. I saw her one more time before I just couldn't take it anymore.

After her, I gave up on therapy for quite awhile. I just went to a psychiatrist for years. I hated it; I would get asked how I'm doing, and quickly get shot down because I'm talking too much. She was somewhat nice about it, but it was still jarring. Eventually, I ran out of insurance and then I moved when my husband got stationed in VA.

I didn't see anyone else until I after I joined the military. First, they put me on some horrible medication; it caused "brain-shivers" so badly that I almost crashed my car multiple times. Then they absolutely denied that a) it would cause side-effects and b) it would cause any kind of withdrawal symptoms (they called it "discontinuation effects" instead). Anyway, I got put back on Zoloft which is what I'm still on now. After pushing for it, they finally let me see a therapist.

This guy was very nice, sensible, knowledgeable, and not even too bad to look at--the only problem I had with him is that he was a newbie, so his idea of the human psyche was fairly inflexible. I am told that my insight is fairly high ("impressive" I've been recently told), and he didn't seem capable of understanding that. He just needs practice. I stopped seeing that guy because he got deployed.

They decided to shove me onto the civilians then. The first one I already mentioned here. She really needed her own bit of therapy and a refresher course in anxiety.
The second one was the miracle lady who made me realize that I should become a therapist myself. I say "miracle lady," because it was through her absolutely terrible therapy that I got over a pretty big hump in my life.

The next pair of people, a psychologist and a psychiatrist, were awesome. They cared, they knew what they were doing, they were easy to talk to (as much as military officers for a little E-2 can be), and they gave me a little more faith in finding someone in the profession to help me once I got separated from the military. It was also them who sent me to a military program called PIOP: psychiatric intensive out-patient program. I'll talk more about that later, but it was a really neat experience (not therapeutic, but neat!).

After them I had a pretty good string of civilian therapists in STL, only to have two of them leave because of job promotion or relocation. Those are, I think, the worst. You develop a rapport, spill your guts, cry a little, then you have to try to start all over again with someone else who you are terrified will suck or move, too.
Now I have a great (probably even the best, for me) therapist who really seems to understand both my issues and my dark, sarcastic humor. She is great and--surprise!--works at the VA. Who'd've thought anything good could come out of that hellhole?

To anyone who still hasn't yet found that "special someone" for your therapeutic process, just know that they are out there--you just have to keep looking for them. It may take a really, really long time (I don't sugarcoat this shit), but once you find them, it is SO worth it. My experience is that those who are actually psychologists tend to do better than social workers or counselors, but this is only me--I could just be a special case.

Anyway, I hope my story has been enlightening, hope-inspiring, or at the very least entertaining. I'd also LOVE to hear your stories--both good and cringe-worthy--so leave'em in the comments!

Keep lookin'!
~ML

No comments:

Post a Comment

YOU (yes, you!) are ABSOLUTELY encouraged to post your own stories, comments, suggestions, and kind words to other readers! But please, be nice. This world is already full of enough, shall we say, gruffness. Also, no medical advice should be given or taken here--that's why we go to see doctors. Thanks in advance! <3